Studies of Nature and Landscapes by Mariota Percival
“I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.” Walt Whitman
Mariota’s heart lies in life studies of nature and landscapes in their changing light. From the intricate detail of the tiniest forms of life to the expanse of the Universe.
Mariota’s Life Studies
Most of Mariota’s life studies and landscapes have been done on location both in South Africa and overseas using 3D in a range of media including pencil, ink pen, pencil crayons, watercolours, gouache, acrylics and oils. Subject matter ranges from fruit, flowers, leaves and butterflies to landscapes.
Inspiration for Life Studies and Landscapes
Artists who have inspired her include:
- Zoltan Szabo’s landscape watercolour paintings
- Ann Taylor’s landscape oil paintings
- Toulouse Lautrec’s paintings of people
- Chinese brush paintings
- South African San rock paintings
- Wassily Kandinsky’s abstract paintings
- Henry Moore’s organic sculptures
“Only paint what you LOVE in what you see.” Calvert